Thursday, April 16, 2009

Remember Why You Do This

I've been sort of waiting to update till I had something to report on one particular venture I was excited about, but that has sort of fallen through. Being bummed about that and various other minor things made me not want to blog more, but then I remembered that this place is about cheering myself up and remembering the good things so here I am, back again.
  • As I said, the project I was hoping I would be working on has turned out to be a bit of a dead end, BUT to point out the silver lining, I did pursue something I wanted to work on creatively for the first time in a long time. I put myself out there, I made first contact, always a hard thing for me. The fact that it hasn't worked out is basically no fault of my own, and basically, I'm considering it a good thing because it means I'm free to pursue other things. It's a little like a job hunt. You can't just apply for one thing and hope it turns out, you have to apply to as much as you can and see what comes back.
  • I started on Weight Watchers, officially, under Sarah's watchful guidance. I have so far lost 5 pounds and managed not to exceed my allowances once yet (so far). I have never successfully dieted in the long term, so this feels promising. Also it is nice to be supporting Sarah as much as she does me, because doing something for someone else always feels nice.
  • We began the journey of wedding planning yesterday, in terms of visiting reception sites. We absolutely fell in love with one and felt definitively that the other was Not For Us (not least because of Wedding Coordinator Barbie, who works there). Ways This Makes Me Happy:
  1. There is something out there we know we like.
  2. I am not going to like everything out there (this was a concern for me, mostly).
  3. I have a very good idea know of what "what we like" and "what we don't like" is.
  4. We agree at least on the basics of what we like and don't like.
  5. Having at least started this process makes me no longer feel like we're so far behind in our plans.
So, we have a frontrunner for a reception site, the anchor to all the plans. It is not perfect (it's expensive, but what about weddings isn't) but all the rooms are lovely and so is the coordinator we would work with. We liked just about everything she told us. I'll give more detail about why this site is so great if we end up choosing it, but it's good to know there's something good out there for us.

So, I don't know. In the grand scheme of things, nothing is really going on, nothing of note. But life is happening and it's pretty good these days. 

No comments: