Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Whither Blog?

Maybe, considering I haven't updated this in almost 6 months, I should call this "Withered Blog." (or "Withering Blog" for all the sarcasm. Rimshot please!)

I've been a fan of blogs since they existed. In college, I wrote a piece about blogging for the campus paper before 'blog' was thought of as a verb, or even before more than half the people in the country had even heard the word. I still read some of those blogs today.

I've also had several of my own blogs. There was a long-lived LiveJournal, a short-lived blogspot page devoted solely to whiny self-pitying posts that my LJ readers were tired of. I created this blog in...I think 2007 and it's been good, but obviously I've been out of touch for a while. And even before that, it was more of a personal blog, a "what I've been up to" blog, for busy people to keep up on my life. But the older I get, the less of my personal life I'm willing to share online. I even started a cooking blog recently, but that's lain dormant for the last three months as I cannot seem to make myself produce writing on one topic consistently (plus I was having trouble putting pictures into the entries, got frustrated, and gave up).

Still, I feel like I need a place online for my voice. Somewhere where I can post things that are longer than a tweet and more lasting than a status update. I want to be like my blogging hero, Sarah, who's site is always interesting, frequently updated, on a range of topics and has a wide appeal. I'm not sure what that's going to end up being. I may just continue to write here and change the format, I may create an entirely new page.

I have stuff to say and I need a place to say it, is what I'm sayin'.

No comments: