Monday, February 18, 2008

Happy Thoughts: Holiday Weekend Edition

Here's a little something for those of you lucky ones who work for large companies that acknowledge national holidays and are therefore home today, lazing around the internet, looking for stuff to read. Not that I'm BITTER.

For a weekend that was supposed to feature me spending 4 days on a Caribbean beach with a drink in one hand and a book in the other (but did not because paying one's accountant is a more responsible use of funds), it did end up having a few bright spots that made it OK that I wasn't.

  • We surprised the crap out of Kris's sister by driving down to South Jersey for her birthday. Even though the celebration was low key, she was extremely happy to see us and I think we made what might have been an unremarkable birthday a little brighter. Plus she genuinely loved our gifts, a game she's been dying to have but denying herself because she's saving every penny for the baby, and a certificate for a prenatal massage.
  • Whilst in SJ, we went out to rent a movie to watch during said low-key party. Outside the video store, we sat in the car, talking about something or other, when I suddenly sensed a presence right outside my window. I turned (and gasped) to find The Infamous Sean Doyle glaring into the car. Once we spotted him, he smiled, waved, got back in his car with his mother, and took off. Not only did we laugh for a good 5 minutes over this, but it was a nice example of why visiting SJ is nice. You can run into a great character like Sean for 10 seconds and it brightens your day.
  • Upon our return from SJ, we decided to hit up Joe's 30th Beerthday (hee) celebration. Having RSVPed in the negative, it was yet another pleasing surprise appearance. And we ended up having a really good time, making up for some of the duller moments of the day. Plus Kris really seems to be comfortable with my friends now. It's about time, but it's nice to see.
  • Sunday afternoon meant lounging in luxury at the house Sarah was housesitting, with Sarah herself and the two cutest dogs in history. Very nice to be forced to relax on leather couches, in a house with radiant heat and channels I don't get, chatting with my best friend and watching a movie that's completely on crack.
  • When I finally got home to my man, he effortlessly cheered me up about the things that happened this weekend that were not so great by letting me kick his butt in a few games of Scene It and feeding me his delectable pasta sauce, and then mocking the hell out of the American Gladiator grand finale. Not a bad way to end a weekend.
  • It may mean the planet is coming to an end on Thursday, but I'll be damned if I don't enjoy some Unseasonably Warm Weather whenever it comes along.

No comments: