Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Valentine's Day Edition

Yeah, it's a little early, but I hope to be occupied with better things than the internet tomorrow.

That being said, Today's Happy Thought is my relationship. Yeah, it's mushy and gross. Whatever. I love it. With as many screwed up, unhappy couples there are out there, and as infinitely more miserable, confused singles as there are, it is a miracle that I find myself attached to a man like this. We are not the same and we are not happy all the time. But we are perfect together. I get him, he gets me. We don't fight, we figure it out. We do stuff together. Sometimes it is fancy, smart, cool stuff. Sometimes it is spending a freezing Sunday on the couch with Mike Nelson, Tom Servo, and Crow. Sometimes it is downright ridiculous and silly. Seriously, if you got to see some of these moments, you'd be like, who are these people? We work. And we always will. He makes me not be so freakin' tightly wound about everything and helps me believe in myself. And I like to think that I have opened up his world and taught him a thing or two. Of course I should be telling this all to him, but you know, really? I do. All the time. The best thing is not just that we are in such a good relationship but that we both know and acknowledge it.

The other night he sat down with me while he was waiting for dinner to finish cooking. Having had something of a frustrating couple of days, I pounced, telling him about all the stupid little bullshit that pissed me off and the non-interesting tidbits of info I came across throughout the day. He zoned out and even looked like he might be a little upset. So I stopped and asked:

"Honey, are you OK?"
"Yeah, I'm fine."
"Are you looking into your future and fearing another 50 or  60 years of me nattering on endlessly at you about nothing in particular?"

And then he laughed. And then I laughed. And that is a picture of a perfect couple.

Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments: